Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
The Technical University of Cluj-Napoca (UTC) is one of the eight universities in Cluj-Napoca, the second in size, specialized in teaching and further training engineers and technical staff. With its eight faculties and a college, with over 700 academic staff and researchers, as well as 12,000 students, the Technical University offers a wide range of courses in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical and manufacturing engineering, materials science, civil engineering and architecture.
The Computer Science Department offers BS in Computer Science and Information Technology; MS in Artificial Intelligence and Vision, Communication Networks and Distribute Systems, Computer Science in Engineering, and Software Engineering; and PhD in Computer Science and Applied Informatics.
The project will essentially be implemented by:
- Dorian Gorgan is professor and PhD supervisor in Computer Science at the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca. He graduated Computer Science and Automation from "Politechnica" University of Timisoara, has PhD in Graphical Modeling and Simulation, Visual Programming, and Graphical User Interfaces at the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca. For two years he gave technical and scientifical consultancy in Autodesk’s projects (in Milan, Italy) in the fields of location based services (LBS) and geographical information systems (GIS). He is the chair of the CGIS (Computer Graphics and Interactive Systems) Laboratory, director of the MedioGrid project, a Grid software and hardware infrastructure supporting the development of the environmental and geographical applications.
- Cornelia Melenti is senior lecturer in Computer Science Department, Technical University of Cluj-Napoca. She carries out research in the CGIS (Computer Graphics and Interactive Systems) group.
- Ovidiu Muresan is PhD student in Computer Science. He concerns with distributed processing, Grid computing, satellite image processing, and computer graphics. He is involved in the development of the MedioGrid platform, and the basic Grid and Web services supporting the satellite image processing.
- Victor Bacu is PhD student in Computer Science. He works on Grid application development, cluster based visualization, tool packages for flexible classification in the satellite images.
- Teodor Stefanut is PhD student concerning with the development of 2D and 3D graphical annotation techniques in the context of eLearning applications. His fields of interest consist of computer graphics, user interaction techniques, graphical modeling and simulation, distributed interactive applications, and Grid and Web applications.
Role in the project:
UTC is leader of WP6 (Black Sea Catchment Observation System) and will hence be responsible for the coordinating of all tasks in WP6. UTC will develop and map over the grid the Service Oriented Architecture, which makes possible the using of distributed massive data model to Collaborative Working Environment Portal and user oriented applications.
UTC is involved in WP2 for Interoperability and data storage (Task 2.2), Gridification of applications (Task 2.5), and Grid-enabled Spatial Data Infrastructure (Task 2.7). In WP4 UTC works in Task 4.3 - Predictions of hydrological models under different scenarios. In WP7 the UTC partner is involved in the Task 7.3 -Virtual training center.