Ukrainian Scientific and Research Institute of Ecological Problems (USRIEP)
Ukrainian Scientific and Research Institute of Ecological Problems (USRIEP), Kharkiv, Ukraine was set up as the All-Union Scientific Research Institute for Protection of Waters in 1971. Now USRIEP is the main scientific organisation working in the system of the Ministry of Environmental Protection of Ukraine. The main efforts of the institute are directed at provision of scientific fundamentals for elaboration of the state policy in environment protection, rational use of natural resources, and ecological safety.
Major areas of the Institute activities are as follows:
- Elaboration of basic principles of the national environmental policy.
- Development of legislative, normative, economic and administrative means for support of the environment protection activities.
- Development of scientific basis for management and control of water resources quality in river basins.
- Provision of scientific, methodological, metrological, instrumental, technical, programmed informative, legislative and co-ordinative support to environmental monitoring.
- Development of ecological programs and statutory documents, integrated environment-protective measures, and methods for environmental impact assessment; development of scientific fundamentals of ecological expertise and ecological auditing.
- Elaboration of ecologically friendly technologies.
- Co-ordination of management of reserved areas and refuges and protection of biodiversity.
Key implemented projects, relevant to the FP7 proposal:
- FP-6 project “Black Sea Scientific Network”, 2005-present time.
- INTAS project “New methods of information treatment for management of water quality in river basins“, 2005-2007.
- World Bank project “Environmental Framework Policy and Environmental Assessment for Urban Infrastructure Project and Nistru River/Black Sea Protection Project”, 2005.
- “Black Sea Environmental Priorities Study”. Global Environment Facility Black Sea Environmental Programme. Ukrainian-USA co-operation, 1997-1998.
- “Impact of Climate Change on Hydrological Regimes and Water Resources in Europe (Using the Southern Bug River Basin)” - International Environment programme РЕКО, 1995-1997
- Management of Water Resources. VICAIRE/ Virtual campus in hydrology and water resources.
The project will essentially be implemented by:
- Dr. Yevgen Makarovskiy is USRIEP’s team leader in the enviroGRIDS project. He graduated from the Kharkov State University and holds a diploma in applied mathematics, and a PhD in Technical Sciences from the Institute of Machine Building Problems of Ukrainian National Academy of Science. During his career in USRIEP, he specialized in designing of environmental protection databases and GIS, environmental management and implementation of complex ecological estimations.
- Mrs. Kateryna Utkina – Researcher of Environmental Management & Information Systems Laboratory, she has graduated from Kharkiv National University and Kharkiv National Academy of Municipal Economy, has a Master degree in Ecology and Environmental Protection. She is dealing with coastal zone protection.
- Mr. Vladimir Kresin – Head of Laboratory of Water Physics and Marine Water Quality Protection. He graduated from Kharkiv Institute of Radio Electronics, has a PhD degree in Technical Sciences. His key specialization is hydrology and mathematical modeling of processes of marine water quality forming; he was the leader of various local projects and expert in international project.
- Mr. Vladimir Bruk - Leading Researcher of Laboratory of Water Physics and Marine Water Quality Protection. He graduated from Kharkiv State University, has a PhD degree in Technical Sciences. He is dealing with hydrological models and assessment of marine environment.
- Ms. Olena Artemova holds a Masters Degree in Environmental Protection and Ecology, and a Specialist Diploma in Corporate Economics. She is a national environmental auditor of Ukraine. Olena Artemova specializes in environmental assessment, water management and treatment issues, development of environmental protection programs, etc.
- Ms. Olga Ievleva holds a Masters Degree in Environmental Protection and Ecology. She is a national environmental auditor of Ukraine. MSc Olga Ievleva specializes in environmental assessment, water management and GIS applications.
- Mr. Sergey Kuzin holds a Masters Degree in Environmental Engineering from the University of Toronto and another Masters in Environmental Sciences from Indiana University, Bloomington. During his career, Sergey has been involved in environmental management information systems design.
Role in the project:
Taking into account the expertise in water protection, hydrological model development and calibration, renewable energy and IT support for environmental management, USRIEP team will be responsible for collection of data for hydrological models (Task 4.1), study of impacts on selected Social Benefits Areas (Energy, Task 5.4), development of BSC network of GEO partners (Task 6.1), as well as for gap analysis and scientific dissemination activity.